Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Poem A Day (or Most Days) for Advent: Dec. 7th

Well, I didn't post a poem yesterday, so I had to revise the title of this series. :)  I thought that might happen!  Here's today's poem:

Chanticleer
All this night shrill chanticleer,
Day's proclaiming trumpeteer,
     Claps his wings and loudly cries,
     Mortals, mortals, wake and rise!
          See a wonder
          Heaven is under,
     From the earth is risen a Sun
     Shines all night, though day be done.

Wake, o earth, wake everything!
Wake and hear the joy I bring;
     Wake and joy; for all this night
     Heaven and every twinkling light,
            All amazing,
            Still stand gazing.
     Angels, powers, and all that be,
     Wake, and joy this sun to see.

Hail, O Sun, O blessed light,
Sent into the world by night!
     Let thy rays and heavenly powers
     Shine in these dark souls of ours;
          For most duly
          Thou are truly
     God and man, we do confess:
     Hail, O Sun of righteousness!
                                                         --William Austin, 1587-1634

No comments:

Post a Comment